The Railroad Air Brakes book collection is a collection of 16 late 19th century and early 20th century books concerning the development and use of air brakes in railroad locomotives and freight cars for all rail systems in existence during this time period. The books run the range from systems that were available to their use and repair. Several of the books have detailed illustrations and the collection makes an excellent reference collection for the historic rail enthusiast.
All the titles contained on this CD are listed below.
- New York and Westinghouse air brakes (1905) - McShane, Charles - 218 pages
- National air brakes; manual of installation & maintenance (1907) - National Brake & Electric Co - 151 pages
- Introduction to the study of air brakes (1909) - Turner, Walter V - 391 pages
- The Westinghouse & New York Air Brakes-- The Science of Railways (1903) - Marshall Monroe Kirkman - 219 pages
- Straight air brakes ; Automatic air brakes ; Electric brakes and signals ; Mechanical instructions ; Operating instructions ; Trial equipment ; Armature repair work ; Maintenance of equipment ; Electrical measurements and tests (1907) - International Correspondence Schools - 630 pages
- The effect of brakes upon railway trains (1894) - Galton, Douglas Stratt; Marie, Georges - 199 pages
- The air brake catechism and instruction book on the construction and operation of the Westinghouse and the New York air brakes, with a list of examination questions for enginemen and trainmen (1910) - Conger, Clinton Barker - 288 pages
- Experiments showing the amount of efficiency to be obtained by automatic vacuum brakes (1926) - Westinghouse Brake Company, Limited - 52 pages
- Electric railway troubles and how to find them; a comprehensive treatise on motors, motor operation, motor repairs, car break-downs, control systems, repairing of control, air brakes, air brake troubles, and electric railway operation generally (1909) - Lowe, Paul E. (Paul Emilius) - 394 pages
- Brake tests; a report of a series of road tests of brakes on passenger equipment cars made at Absecon, New Jersey, in 1913 (1913) - Pennsylvania Railroad. Test Dept - 426 pages
- The air-brake; Chicago, American school of correspondence, 1913 (1913) - Ludy, Llewellyn V. - 133 pages
- Twentieth century triple air brake questions and answers (1905) - Burgess, Ernest - 144 pages
- N.Y. air-brake pumps ; N.Y. triple valves and brake valves ; N.Y. air-brake troubles ; Train operation ; N.Y. foundation brake gear ; N.Y. air signal and high-speed brake (1900) - International Correspondence Schools - 362 pages
- Diseases of the air brake system; their causes, symptoms and cure (1894) - Synnestvedt, Paul - 100 pages
- Evolution of the air-brake. A brief but comprehensive history of the development of the modern railroad brake, from the earliest conception contained in the simple lever, up to, and including, the most approved forms of the present day (1895) - Synnestvedt, Paul - 119 pages
- The art of railroading Volume 3 - Modern Air Brake Practice (1906) - Swingle, Calvin F. (Calvin Franklin); Prior, Frederick John - 503 pages
Here is an image from one of the volumes:
This CD runs on all Windows and Macintosh computers. You must have a web browser and Adobe Acrobat Reader - (available for free download if you do not have it installed on your computer.) The book index is organized in an HTML menu that is compatible with all browsers and the books themselves are in PDF format to allow them to be universally accessed. Many books on this CD are searchable and printable.