In some cities, taking the subway is an everyday fact of life. This collection of 19 historic books explores the development of the subway and the various subway systems that make this form of transportation the preferred mode of city travel for millions.
All the titles contained on this CD are listed below.
- The air and ventilation of subways (1908) - Soper, George A. (George Albert) - 286 pages
- The subways and tunnels of New York, methods and costs (1912) - Gilbert, Gilbert Haskell; Wightman, Lucius Irving; Saunders, William Lawrence - 496 pages
- Advantages of store and office building connections to mezzanine stations of the subways (1956) - Chicago Transit Authority - 46 pages
- Report on Detroit street railway traffic and proposed subway, made to board of Street Railway commissioners, city of Detroit (1915) - Parsons, Brinckerhoff - 326 pages
- Legislation, court decisions, contract for the use of the subway, contract for the use of the new tunnel and subway, lease of the east Boston tunnel (1911) - Boston (Mass.). Transit Commission - 255 pages
- Dual system of rapid transit for New York city (1912) - Willcox, William Russell - 84 pages
- Recommendations and general plans for a comprehensive passenger subway system for the city of Chicago (1911) - Arnold, Bion J. (Bion Joseph) - 136 pages
- General and detail specifications for rapid transit cars, no. RRE-3000-63 (1963) - Chicago Transit Authority - 234 pages
- Interborough Rapid Transit: the New York subway; its construction and equipment (1904) - IRT Subway System (New York, N.Y.) - 152 pages
- Proposed new railway system for the transportation and distribution of freight by improved methods in the city and port of New York (1908) - Wilgus, William J. (William John) - 206 pages
- The traffic of the subway of the Interborough Rapid Transit Company of New York city. Submitted to the Public Service Commission for the First district of the state of New York (1909) - Arnold, Bion J. (Bion Joseph) - 92 pages
- Building the new rapid transit system of New York city (1915) - Lavis, Fred; Griest, Maurice E.- 94 pages
- A comprehensive plan for the extension of the subway system of the city of Chicago : including provision for the widening of E. and W. Congress Street (1939) - Kelker, Rudolph Frederick - 408 pages
- Contract no. 1, being the contract for the construction and operation of the Manhattan and the Bronx Rapid transit railroad, with supplemental agreements to 1st January, 1908. Contract dated 21st February, 1900 (1908) - New York (State). Public Service Commission. 1st District - 472 pages
- Contract no. 2, being for construction and operation of Brooklyn-Manhattan Rapid Transit Railroad. Approved as to form this 26th day of June, 1902 .. (1906) - New York (State). Public Service Commission. 1st District - 258 pages
- The romance of engineering; stories of the highway, the waterway, the railway, and the subway (1892) - Frith, Henry - 406 pages
- Philadelphia's rapid transit; being an account of the construction and equipment of the Market street subway-elevated and its place in the great system and service of the Philadelphia rapid transit company (1908) - Arnold & Dyer - 152 pages
- Illustrated Description of the Broadway Pneumatic Underground Railway (1870) - Beach Pneumatic Transit Company - 33 pages
- The Beach Pneumatic Transit Company's Broadway Underground Railway, New York City (1873) - 92 pages
Here are some selected page images from various volumes in the collection:
This CD runs on all Windows and Macintosh computers. You must have a web browser and Adobe Acrobat Reader - (available for free download if you do not have it installed on your computer.) The book index is organized in an HTML menu that is compatible with all browsers and the books themselves are in PDF format to allow them to be universally accessed. Many books on this CD are searchable and printable.